As if you needed a reason to start volunteering, here are some of the basics of why volunteering makes you more happy, healthy, and an all-round badass.
1. Strengthen Your Job Skills: Volunteering is the perfect way to boost your resume and learn useful job skills in your chosen industry. For example, if you want to work with animals, consider volunteering at a Bay Area shelter. Plus, it's no secret that employers like people who volunteer.
2. Meet New People/Strengthen Old Relationships: Perhaps you are interested in meeting more people with interests similar to your own. Volunteering is great way to make new friends, and learn about people from different walks of life. It is also a great way to strengthen your relationships with old friends, family members, or significant others.
3. Volunteering Improves Your Health: If you want to become healthier and less stressed, then volunteering could be the solution for you. People who volunteer tend to feel less tension, and have higher self-esteem. They also tend to live longer, and studies have shown volunteering is a great way for elderly people to increase brain functionality. Not only are you giving back to your community, but you're helping yourself be mentally and physically healthier - it's a no brainer. (come on... that was so bad it was good?)
4. Develop New Interests: If you are looking to find a new hobby this year, volunteering can be a great way to explore different interests you may have and see which area you would like to pursue. The Bay Area is full of exciting opportunities for volunteers, so you are sure to find something that's up your alley.
5. Help Your Community Save Money: Many programs cannot operate without year-round volunteers. Help your entire community be successful by donating even a few hours of time each month. Volunteering helps nonprofits save cash.
6. Change Someone's Life: No matter what your motivation is for volunteering, your valuable time is being spent improving the life of another. This a selfless act and a reward in and of itself. If you already volunteer, stop reading and pat yourself on the back.
7. Volunteering Gives You a Sense of Purpose: If your job or relationships aren't quite fulfilling a greater calling, then volunteering may provide an opportunity for you to contribute to your Bay Area community in a meaningful way. Volunteering equals that warm and fuzzy feeling.
8. Volunteering is Fun: Volunteering is a great way to have fun in a low-stress, creative, and unique environment. Grab a few friends and spend a Saturday volunteering, then go out and grab a beer afterwards. You can make this a weekly activity!
9. Raise Awareness: If you are passionate about a specific cause or organization, then volunteering your time with them each month is a great way to raise awareness and have a positive impact on something you genuinely care about.
10. Make a Difference: Last, but certainly not least, one of the most important reasons to volunteer is so that you can make a difference in your community. Volunteering helps you learn more about the needs of your community and neighbors, and gives you the opportunity to improve everyone's quality of life.
Volunteering is an excellent way to learn different skills, meet new friends, and be a healthier and happier person. And here at DiveIn, we want to make it as easy as possible for you to connect to those nonprofits and community organizations that are making a difference.
Check us out on the app store and let us know what you think.