Thanksgiving is almost here!
In less than 24 hours, many of us will be gobbling down delicious turkey dinners and more slices of pie than we’d like to admit. Thanksgiving also gives us a great opportunity to reflect on all the blessings we have in our lives.
Personally, I have A LOT to be grateful for. I’ve been blessed with a loving family, great friends, good health and so much more. But this year I want to give thanks not by listing off all the things I’m grateful for, of which there are countless, but rather to give thanks by DOING.
That’s why it’s a personal goal of mine to become a more active member of my community and to help you do the same. And by active I don’t mean retweeting or sharing a post on facebook (this is a blog post so I’m technically not a total hypocrite) but by participating in real life.
Trust me, I know from personal experience how tough it can be to carve out the time in our busy lives to have a real impact. But it doesn’t have to be so daunting to get more involved.
Nonprofits work every day in our communities to tackle difficult issues and help our neighbors in need. After working with lots of great nonprofits here at DiveIn, I know so many of them need your help. With 1.5 million nonprofits in the US, there’s no shortage of opportunities.
Ok rant over. Here are 5 ways to get more involved in your community TODAY.
- As we covered last week, our partner APEX has a new online database called APEX Helps where you can find hundreds of local nonprofits that can use your skills.
- To help fight racial injustice in your community, consider volunteering for Showing Up For Racial Justice in your hometown.
- If you're passionate about protecting the environment and combating climate change, sign up to volunteer at NextGen Climate Action.
- Sadly, many of our neighbors don’t get enough to eat every day. Sign up to volunteer with the SF Marin Foodbank to help distribute food to those who need it most.
- Last but not least, download the DiveIn app! On our app, you can easily find opportunities to get involved with great local nonprofits. If you don’t see anything that piques your interest, create your own event and rally your friends for a good cause.
If you have any other suggestions for getting more involved in the Bay Area community hit me up on twitter or leave a comment below.
Let’s get active!
Co-founder and CEO at DiveIn